According to a researcher in longevity, this is the most effective way to plan your workouts for optimal health.

According to a researcher in longevity, this is the most effective way to plan your workouts for optimal health.

Exercise is one of the daily routines that experts recommend for living a long and healthy life. Additionally, according to Dr. Peter Attia, a physician who studies longevity, exercise has a greater impact on lifespan than other aspects of lifestyle, such as diet and sleep.

On the wellness podcast “Ten Percent Happier with Dan Harris,” Attia stated, “Longevity, both through lifespan and health span, is impacted more through exercise than any of the other variables we have.”

However, how often you should exercise each week varies based on things like age and available time. If that’s not possible, you don’t have to exercise 14 to 16 hours a week, Attia said.

However, regardless of how much time you have, there is a specific way that people should structure their workouts to achieve optimal health, according to Attia.

According to Attia, who was speaking on the podcast, the ideal exercise ratio for a long life is 50 percent strength training. Half of the exercises you do weekly should be strength training. This indicates that if you exercise eight hours per week, you should devote four hours to strengthening and stabilizing your body.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that “increasing muscular strength, endurance, and bone density” is the goal of strength training. The CDC claims that the exercises can enhance insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism. They can also be referred to as resistance training.

Exercises for strengthening include:

Push-ups, deadlifts, lunges, planks, bodyweight squats, and burpees are the weight-lifting exercises. The other half of your time should be spent doing cardio exercises, according to Attia in the episode. He added that the remaining 20% of your cardio workouts should be high-intensity, while the remaining 80% should be low-intensity.

He explained that low-intensity is when “you can still speak, [but] you just don’t want to.” You have officially entered high-intensity mode if you can no longer speak.

According to the CDC, cardio, or aerobic exercise, “gets you breathing harder and your heart beating faster” and is extremely beneficial to cardiovascular health.

You can do the following cardio exercises with a low intensity:

Speed walking, biking at a moderate pace, mowing the lawn, and swimming laps in a pool are all examples of high-intensity aerobic exercises to try.

Running Jumping jacks Biking up a hill on a bike Jumping rope Attia said on the podcast that even a little exercise is better than none at all, so don’t get too caught up in how many hours you exercise each week.

He stated, “You will still give them a 50% reduction in all-cause mortality if you take a person who is doing zero exercise and you just get them to the point where they are doing three hours a week of exercise.”


error: Content is protected !!