The birth anniversary of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam was born on October 15, 1931 in Tamil Nadu; he is known as India’s Missile Man. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s birth anniversary is also observed as World Students Day.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Celebrates His Birth Anniversary
Avul Pakir Jainuladbeen Abdul Kalam, born on October 15, 1931, was an Indian aerospace scientist and the country’s 11th president. From 2002 to 2007, he was India’s President. For his contributions to the development of ballistic missiles and launch vehicle technology, he was dubbed “India’s Missile Man.”
He has worked as a scientist and science administrator for the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for over four decades (ISRO). He was heavily involved in India’s civil space programme as well as military missile development. He also received several prestigious awards, including the Bharat Ratna.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam: Biography
|Name||Avul Pakir Jainuladbeen Abdul Kalam|
|Born||15th October 1931|
|Birth Place||Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu|
|Father’s Name||Jainuladbeen Marakayar|
|Schooling||Schwartz Higher Secondary School|
|Higher Studies||Saint Joseph’s College in Tiruchirapalli|
|Profession||Aerospace Scientist, Author|
|Political Career||11th President of India|
|Awards||Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, etc.|
|Died||27th July 2015|
|Resting Place||Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Desiya Ninaivagam, Pei Karumbu, Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu|
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s Childhood
APJ Abdul Kalam, also known as the People’s President, was born on October 15, 1931, in Rameswaram on Pamban Island, then in the Madras Presidency, and now in Tamil Nadu, to a Tamil Muslim family. Jainuladbeen Marakayar, his father, was a boat owner and the imam of a local mosque, and his mother was a housewife. Abdul Kalam was the youngest of five siblings, with four brothers and one sister. Abdul Kalam was an average student in school, but he was known for his hard work and consistency. After graduating from Schwartz Higher Secondary School, he attended Saint Joseph’s College in Tiruchirapalli. In 1954, he received his physics diploma. In 1955, he relocated to Madras to further his studies in aeronautics.
Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam: Outstanding Contribution
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam was a man of many talents who dedicated his life to serving the nation. He has worked to better and develop society. The contribution of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam has pushed society forward. Here are a few of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s significant contributions.
- In the first year of the establishment of ISRO in 1969, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam was chosen to be the project director.
- He led the project to build India’s first Indigenous satellite launch vehicle (SLV). In 1980, SLV-III successfully launched the satellite Rohini into orbit.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam was appointed as the CEO of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). The program was under the guidance of the Ministry of Defence.
- He also played an important role in the development of nuclear power in India behind the Pokhran II nuclear test.
- APJ Abdul Kalam has also contributed to the field of medicine in India. He and his team developed lightweight prosthetics from space-age material to enable physically challenged children to be able to walk.
- He has collaborated with cardiologist B. Soma Raju to build Indigenous coronary stents. These stents led to over 50% price-cut compared to imported stents.
- He has developed the concept of an indigenous ‘rugged tablet’ computer with B. Soma Raju for the healthcare professionals at primary health centers in rural regions.
- Dr. Kalam launched a mass movement centered around anti-corruption in 2011 which covered themes such as social, environmental, and ethical issues.
- He is known as the People’s President and has been inclined towards the welfare of the younger generation.
- Dr. Kalam as a President set a crucial political precedent in the country. He was the first President of India who sends back a bill to parliament for reconsideration.
Dr. Books by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
APJ Abdul Kalam has written several books and it has been praised all over the world. He had the vision of seeing India at the top of the world and he has described his vision in all his written works. Here are some of the most remarkable books by APJ Abdul Kalam.
- India 2020: A vision for the new millennium
- Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
- Guided Souls: Dialogues on the Purpose of Life
- Mission of India: A Vision of Indian Youth
- Failure to Success: Legendary Lives
- Spirit of India
- My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions
- Beyond 2020: A Vision for Tomorrow’s India
- The Luminous Sparks: A Biography in Verse and Colours
- Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power within India
- Governance for Growth in India
- Forge Your Future: Candid, Forthright, Inspiring